These are the notes from a class I taught on evangelism at Heartland Church in Fort Wayne. Since last night’s class was the first time I presented this teaching I thought it best to post the notes here for both the class’ sake and mine. I also arranged the content here a bit differently then when I first taught it because I feel this way makes the points much more clearer and easier to follow. I hope you enjoy!
1-The Gospel Defined
The Gospel is defined as, “the ‘good news’ concerning God’s glory and humanity’s salvation by the grace of God through faith in Jesus Christ,” Mark 1:15 & Ephesians 2:8-10.
2-The Nature of the Gospel
The Gospel in its very nature is, “the power of God unto salvation,” Romans 1:16-17.
3-How the Gospel is Spread
The Gospel is spread by preaching, Romans 10:9-17.
4-The Penalty of Not Sharing the Gospel
The penalty is woe and blood upon the Christian’s hand if they do not preach the Gospel, 1 Corinthians 9:16 & Acts 20:26.
5-The Four Main Parts of the Gospel
- God: Created man (with free will possessing the power of “self-identity & freedom”) for a loving relationship with Himself, Genesis 1:26, 3:8-9.
- Man: Willing sinned and separated himself from God and came under the just wrath of God, Romans 3:9-23.
- Jesus: Died on the cross and bore the judgement of God for sinners so that by His resurrection all might live and not perish, John 3:16 & Romans 5:8-9.
- Faith: By putting one’s full trust in God and confessing Jesus as “Lord,” a person is restored to fellowship with God and free from the wrath their sins (high treason against the King) justly deserve, John 3:16 & Romans 10:9-10.
6-The Methods for Opening the Door to Share the Gospel (As Seen in the Gospel of Mark)
- Casting out demons, Mark 1:23-28.
- Performing miracles, Mark 1:33-34.
- Sharing meals, Mark 2:16.
- Telling parables, Mark 4:1-2.
- Meeting needs, Mark 6:39-44.
- Rebuking sin, Mark 7:9, Mark 9:20-23.
- Ministering to children, Mark 10:14-15.
- Giving people the cost of discipleship, Mark 10:21.
- Serving, Mark 10:43-45.
- Debate/Confrontation, Mark 11:29.
- Sharing about the end times, Mark 13:4.
7-How to Know Which Method to Use to Share the Gospel
The Holy Spirit will guide the believer, like He did Jesus, to choose and act upon the best method to open someone’s heart to the message of the Gospel, John 5:19-21 & John 14:12.